Meditation is a healthy practice that can benefit everyone in need of calmness and centering. Sometimes associated with mysticism or religion, meditation is in fact simply the practice of calming self-awareness. Meditation is something that can be learned, and with daily practice, your ability to meditate will improve.
Meditation can help in stressful periods of life, as well as provide benefits for your day to day living.
How to meditate
Meditation is not complex. These are the easy-to-follow steps of meditation:
- Take a comfortable seat, be it cross-legged or simply a regular sitting position.
- Close your eyes and begin to clear your mind of all thought; begin to focus on your breathing.
- Divert all of your thoughts to your breathing (do not change the way you breathe, keep it natural).
- Focus on the air flowing through you and pay attention to the sensations in your body.
- Undoubtedly, your mind will wander. Don’t try to fight the intrusion of thoughts that are outside your focus on your breath and body. Let them come, then go. Gently guide yourself back to a focus on your breathing and just be in the moment. This is all there is to it.